USA Immigration Information

The United States has a long, complicated, and rich history of immigration, starting with the arrival of Native Americans over the Bering land bridge and continuing on to the settlement of Europeans along the country’s East Coast. For thousands of years, people have come to America to start new lives, create new traditions, and raise their families. Today, tens of thousands of new immigrants are greeted each year. They come to work, be with loved ones, or simply to open a new chapter.

Gaining U.S. Citizenship

The vast majority of Americans obtained their citizenship in one of two ways: they were either born on United States soil or they were born to a U.S. citizen. However, there are still other avenues to citizenship for foreigners who wish to call the United States their home country.

There are four major avenues to citizenship:

In order to become a U.S. citizen, you must first become a permanent resident (green card holder) and maintain this status for three to five years, depending upon how you obtained your green card.

Getting a Green Card

Many foreigners living and working in the United States either have or wish to secure a green card, also known as permanent residency. While some visas grant permanent residency or lead to permanent residency, others are only temporary.

In order to obtain a green card, you must petition for one. You may petition for a green card if:

  • You are married to a United States citizen.
  • Your relative has citizenship or holds a green card.
  • You are employed in the United States and have an employer sponsor.
  • You wish to invest a significant amount of money in the U.S. economy.
  • You have an extraordinary ability.
  • You win a spot in the green card lottery.
  • You are a refugee or a victim of a crime.

Our skilled, compassionate immigration attorneys can help you with all of your green card legal issues, from finding the most appropriate path to a green card, to petitioning for a green card, to helping you maintain your green card.

Temporary Visas

Some are not interested in permanently settling in the United States or ultimately gaining U.S. citizenship. These foreigners may wish to apply for a non-immigrant, temporary visa. These visas may be used for:

  • Studying in the United States.
  • Working in the United States.
  • Visiting the United States as a tourist.
  • Visiting the United States on business.
  • Touring the United States as an artist or athlete.

Our attorneys can help you secure a temporary visa, help you renew a temporary visa, or help you better understand which type of temporary visa is right for your needs.

Immigration Legal Issues

Immigration laws are complex and can be harsh. For whatever reason, many find themselves with expired visas, in the country illegally, or facing deportation. Other immigrants may be searching for a way to stay in the country after their current visa expires. Whatever your immigration problem, we may be able to assist you and find the best outcome possible under the law.

Schedule a Consultation with a San Diego Immigration Attorney Today

No matter if you need a little help with a visa petition or whether you need experienced representation because of a possible deportation, the California immigration attorneys at Feldman Feldman & Associates are dedicated to helping with legal matters large and small. If you need immigration information, want to speak with a member of our immigration legal team, or to schedule an initial consultation, please call our offices or fill out the short electronic contact form today.